Surviving records for St John’s Church, Kilnamanagh, sometimes spelled Kilnemanagh, on the Wells Park estate near Gorey in County Wexford in the Diocese of Ferns are held in the Representative Church Body Library, Dublin. They include vestry minutes for the years 1808-1870 that provide some interesting insights into the history of the parish.
1865 St John’s Church, Kilnamanagh Costs of Labour and Supplies
The Kilnamanagh vestry minutes provide an insight into the wages of a tradesman in County Wexford, Ireland in 1865. They record that a carpenter was paid two shillings and sixpence ( 2/6) per day for 21 days to work on the roof of Kilmuckridge school. The final account came to £2/12/6.
In the same year, 1865, St John’s Church, Kilnamanagh accounts show the cost of drawing a load of gravel from the sea was two shillings ( 2/= ) ; the cost for two horses to draw a load of bricks from Ardamine was three shillings and sixpence ( 3/6 ).
1843 Protestant Population
In 1843, the vestry minutes record that the Protestant population of St John’s Church Kilnamanagh “amounts to 315 individuals” but that church accommodates only 123. At that time, the vestry sought funds from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to extend the church.
1826 Levy on Parishioners, Kilnamanagh Church, Wells
Vestry minutes dated 30 May 1826 record that “twelve pounds and fifteen shillings” should be levied off “the several parishioners and lands of the parish of Kilnamanagh” and provide a detailed breakdown of the lands.